Re: Upcoming NMU; svn commit access for it is open for you

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 04:43:56AM +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> > > I just created a subversion repository with the latest lintian release
> > > in it.
> >
> > We need to convert the CVS repository to it, merge in the past releases
> > (I have tarballs from all but two or three of them, Shaleh forwarded them to
> > me and I've kept all that I released) to make it a full-blown repo.
> >
> > Note that space on svn.d.o was already allocated for Lintian...
>
> If you can make those CVS things available, I could help with the
> conversion (converted 2 weeks ago our 3300+ revision cvs repository on
> some other project).

Great. I'll copy the tarballs on a removable drive and take it to a
Place With A Fat Pipe and send the URL, probably tomorrow midday.

> I've noted that you already wanted to start a more communtiy-managed
> lintian (you started this very mailinglist, you had the svn repository
> created, etc). I think this is a good start, past history would be great.
> This moved to alioth for garanteed continuity is also a better solution,
> I'm sure on alioth some subverion repository can be imported.

Yes, I have no interest in usurping all control over Lintian, that was most
certainly never the intention :) I ,,rescued'' it from one inactive
maintainer (hi Shaleh!), it's way past time for others to more actively chip
in. You will note that Colin Watson, Frank Lichtenfeld and many others have
already submitted gobs of patches, and I hate it when my business IRL is the
reason why those patches aren't reaching the archive in time.

Note also that this list is not limited just to Lintian -- with CVS/SVN
commit logs and/or diffs being sent to it, we can improve both tools at the
same time.

> Maybe it's a possiblity if you, Josip, upload from the repository, so
> bugs are closed rather than tagged fixed?

Yes, that would be just fine. Proofreading already committed patches via
ViewCVS requires less man-hours than inserting them myself.

Remember also to add regression testing for additions.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.