Re: few lintian questions

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:52:49PM +0200, David A. van Leeuwen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In debugging the lintian errors for transcribers, the following errors
> occured, for which I don't know clean solutions:
>
> shell-script-fails-syntax-check ./usr/lib/transcriber/tcl/Main.tcl
>
> This is in fact a tcl-hacked sh-bang script.  Somehow, tcl never knows
> where it is located and tcl-programmers seem to use the following hack:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #  -*-tcl-*-\
> exec wish "$0" ${1:+"$@"}
> ... tcl code...

Hm, I recall this issue... but fail to find it in our buglist. You might
want to file a wishlist to recognise this hack.

Alternatively, in Debian it _is_ well-defined where tcl lives
(/usr/bin/tcl or /usr/bin/tclsh, depending what you want).

> non-standard-dir-perm var/lib/transcriber/ 0777 != 0755
>
> This is a directory where users can store audio signal shaped
> temporarily.  These files tend to be large, and need some time to live
> from one invocation to another.  I use a cron-job to clean up files
> older than a week, and I use /var/lib rather than /tmp because the files
> may be large.
>
> There is the potential danger, though, that users fill /var filesystem
> space with write-all access.
>
> Any suggestions?

I see your dilemma, but have no clear-cut answer. I think there is not
really one 'correct' answer to this, for both /tmp and /var/lib is
something to say. I'd personally still say /tmp (or rather $TMPDIR of
course), and have users with a small /tmp redefine $TMPDIR to an
appropriate place if they need to.

There is no single place that is guaranteed to have much of space, and
the FHS/POSIX says /tmp or rather $TMDIR if set should be used for temp
data.

Either way: ask debian-devel@ for advice on this issue if you still have
doubts, and in the case you decide to go for /var/lib, simply add a
lintian-override.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar