Re: Debian Lex - Conclusions

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 04:45:14PM +0200, José Cohen wrote:
> > > 3. Use Alioth: http://alioth.debian.org/projects/debian-lex for CVS
> > > and FTP (we have write access).
> >
> > Are you sure about CVS?  I'd suggest SVN (or Git).
>
> Why?

As far as I can overlook teams inside Debian the Web team is the very
last (active) one that is using CVS and as far as I can see this is
because of historic reasons and frequently questioned by newcomers and
activists.  SVN could be considered as more modern plugin replacement
for CVS and I would never start any new project in CVS.

Currently there is some tendency that teams are moving to Git (by
leaving SVN) so you would not like to start in "the middle ages" and
fight restrictions of CVS.  Feel free to ask Google for comparisons of
version control systems if you ar not convinced.  It might happen that
developers might not consider commiting to your project because of using
ancient tools they could be scared about.

However, in any case - it is your choice what you are using.  I do not
plan to develop in Debian Lex team and so I do not mind personally.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de