Re: Yet another list statistics for debian-lex

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Barbara Figueirido wrote:

I strongly agree with the Wiki idea. I think it might be the best place
to start, since it would allow potential users to express their needs in
a centralized place.

As I tried to lay out in my previous mail: The Wiki is one option which
has the advantage to enable everybody to inject content.  The drawback
of the Wiki is that it quickly becomes outdated and is not translated
regarding *existing* packages inside Debian.  For instance as a Spanish
native speaker you might convince colleagues of yours much easier if
you point them to
   http://blends.alioth.debian.org/lex/tasks/desktop.html.es
than to a Wiki in English language.  I can not stress the fact enough
that gathering all information about packages inside Debian include
the translated package descriptions are a vital point for our *users*.
You can not expect that stuff in a random legal office has enough skills
to understand ENglish package descriptions.  And you can even involve
users if you ask them to either "Fix a translated description" (- BTW,
we also need translators in the Blends effort to translate these controls!)
or provide a new description (Administration contains sql-ledger which
is not yet translated).

So the Wiki has pro and cons - just decide what might help you more
and make sure that the delay to move the info from the Wiki to the
tasks files is short to gain all advantages.  (And again: Do not hesitate
to ask me if the difference did not became clear.)

Whereas a convinced linux user can use any linux distro, as Elaine's
mail shows (I am also using exclusively linux for my private practice),
it should be taken into account that not everybody is willing to put up
with configuration learning or software-seeking and a packaged version
of pertinent software might be a great contribution to FOSS.
It should also be noted that software requirements might be different
according to environment, since procedures differ greatly in philosophy
from country to country; I believe, nonetheless, that one shouldn't get
scared by this fact and that even if the distro addresses at first only
a small portion of the legal universe it will be a great thing.

Sure.  You are not able to serve all from the beginning - BUT *all* are
able to gain influence on the direction you are moving in.  So try to
involve people.

It's great that Elaine can combine her skills with those of her husband,
that's a perfect match.

Yes!

I'm a lawyer, not a programmer, but I can understand some simple
technical issues and I believe that I might help somewhat.

In short, I would love to see a rebirth of debian-lex!

Good luck

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de