Re: CVS up

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 10:31, Ken Walker wrote:
> Although I do not understand what CVS is all about, I would like to know
> more.  Is there a primer someplace?

CVS stands for Concurrent Versions System and it is a way that people
can collaboratively work on software because it tracks all the changes
that are made and who has made them.  You can view the CVS from the
alioth address I posted earlier (as soon as it comes back up) but if you
want to make changes it is more involved, and possibly would be easier
just to send those changes to me by email.

> I do not have a sense as to how close this means we are to having
> working packages ready for use in the legal business, I am guessing this
> is a milestone in that process.  Congratulations to Jeremy and others
> involved in the process.

Not very close. :-(  Probably in another few weeks if you are running
the Debian unstable distribution you will be able to run the program
called tasksel and choose "Debian-Lex workstation" or "Debian-Lex
server", but it won't install very many useful legal packages (except
probably for a marginally useful database schema if you choose
"server").  It will install some of the framework that you will need in
future in order to be able to install useful legal packages.

What we really need are more hands on deck making those packages.  Some
of them will be easy (eg. a templates package for OpenOffice.org, or
OpenEvidence which the upstream developers have already Debianised),
some will be harder (eg. what I'm doing with SQL-Ledger and what Tom
Dossis is doing with a legal CMS).  My problem is I've been insanely
busy of late, so the more stuff that falls to me, the longer it will
take.

One thing I have done is a logo for Debian Lex based on Gabriel
Piñeiro's work with the Legal Tux, and I've now linked it to the Web
site at http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-lex/, but it won't appear
there for another few hours because changes to the Web site don't
replicate immediately.  I've also done a FAQ which is in the lex-doc
package available from CVS, but there's nothing much in it.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy@Malcolm.id.au> Personal: http://www.malcolm.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)