Intro, Lex, OpenOffice

To introduce myself, I have been practicing law for 26 years, the last 20 here on Vancouver Island in British Columbia Canada. Since I do not have anything like the skills a developer would need, I am not sure I can do more than watch what goes on here but I do look forward to doing that.

I have been using pc's in my work for about 20 years. I take care of about 8 of them now. I have one running debian as a file and print server. The remainder are using various versions of windows. I use Debian at home on a dual boot machine. My daughter uses it in windows otherwise it would have Debian on it only. Our main application at work is MS Word, an old DOS based accouting system, Pegasus email, IE as a web browser and Time & Chaos for scheduling. I am planning to set up a couple of workstations in Linux running Open Office and Mozilla. Before I can expect any success in tempting the office staff into Linux, I will be getting them going with OpenOffice in windows. The hope is that once comfortable there, they will hardly notice the change of OS's. To do that I will have to get up to speed with OpenOffice myself but that is outside the scope of this list I suppose.

I doubt that there is much I can usefully do in this project but if something does come up, I will be here.