Re: Updating the PHP license

> On May 19, 2024, at 11:42, Francesco Poli <invernomuto@paranoici.org> wrote:
>
> Here's some feedback about version 0.3 of your RFC.
>
>> The proposed changes for the PHP software repository will not affect
>> the PHP Manual. The PHP Manual will remain licensed under the Creative
>> Commons Attribution 3.0 License or later.
>
> How unfortunate!
> Creative Commons licenses are also controversial (although this one,
> CC-by-v3.0, is accepted by the Debian Project, I personally disagree).
>
> Anyway, the general recommendation is to license the documentation
> under the same legal terms as the documented program or library.
> Hence, I would suggest to also switch the PHP Manual to the 3-clause
> BSD license... this would be absolutely great (although it would
> probably require to seek approval among its copyright holders).

The PHP manual is not distributed with the PHP source code, and it is managed by a separate team of volunteers. While related to the PHP source code, it can be thought of as a separate project, owned by a separate community. I called this out specifically in the RFC to alleviate any concerns that the RFC oversteps this invisible boundary by applying itself more broadly.

>> External extensions currently licensed under the PHP License may
>> continue to use the PHP License. There is no need to change extension
>> licenses.
>
> I don't think so.
>
> If the PHP Group decides to elect the 3-clause BSD license as the next
> version (4.0) of the PHP License, then clause 5 of the PHP License version
> 3.01 will kick in and any piece of software currently licensed under
> the terms of the PHP License version 3.01 will *instantly* be also
> available under the terms of the 3-clause BSD license, at the
> recipient's choice.
>
> A similar reasoning should hold for the Zend Engine License, as well…

I want to be clear that this RFC does not exert any control over other projects that use the PHP License. This is important. PHP is not one, single unified project, despite how it might appear from the outside; it’s a bunch of small, independent projects with no single unifying body that can claim control over any one of the projects. For this reason, the scope of the RFC is narrow.

One of my goals with the RFC is to get rid of the idea of a “PHP License,” so it deprecates the PHP License and *replaces* it with the BSD 3-Clause License. I don’t want there to be a “PHP License, version 4.0.” I think that will continue to cause confusion in the community.

Is there a reading of clause 5 (specifically “You may also choose to use such covered code under the terms of any subsequent version of the license published by the PHP Group.”) that would allow projects using the PHP License to switch to the BSD 3-Clause License, even if a subsequent version 4.0 of the PHP License is not published?

Cheers,
Ben