Re: Binary file inside fruit package

On Mon, 2022-06-27 at 08:32 -0600, Sam Hartman wrote:

> Major factors in making that decision include what data is actually
> available to the upstream author as well as how upstream has generally
> chosen to make modifications.
> If data is available to upstream but not to Debian that's a good sign
> that we have a DFSG problem we cannot resolve.

Indeed, since the FSD/OSD/DFSG are primarily about providing equality
of access to a work between upstream and everyone who receives a work.

Adding gigabytes of PGN files to Debian probably wouldn't be accepted
by ftp-master, so I think we can rule out including that. I think that
a link to a publicly available archive of the full set of game records
should replace the large set of PGN files for Debian and everything
else should be included in Debian. So add the filter rules, the reduced
set of recorded chess games and the tools for converting PGN files to
polyglot bin files to Debian. Since the polyglot bin file would be able
to be generated solely from source and binary packages available in
Debian, it should not be present in any source package and should
always be generated at build time, so that Debian can prove that it can
still generate the file using a rebuild. End users who want to modify
it using their chess programs can use the file in the binary package.

This approach would deliver the maximum possible freedom for everyone.
The only people inconvenienced are folks who want to choose a different
set of games; they are only inconvenienced due to the storage usage
being prohibitively large for Debian. If they have enough storage they
can still download the full game archive themselves and filter it too.
If they don't then maybe they can send their new filter rules to the
game archive and have the archive apply them and return a new game set.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise