Re: Binary file inside fruit package

Dear Marcos,

> After reading the file `readme.txt' of fruit package I checked that the binary
> file is generated by another package called "polyglot". To generate the binary
> file, polyglot needs a PGN file as source. The PGN file does not come with
> fruit package.

These binary opening books contain extra data not included in PGN files - for
instance, the relative competitive chess ratings of the players. As such, I
don't think the book_small.bin book would have been generated from PGN files
alone.

In general, data isn't protected by 'IP', but collections of data certainly can
be! The README of fruit would suggest that book_small.bin was copied over from
polyglot, the author's previous work: I would imagine that the author intended
the book to be licensed under the GPL as with the fruit package more generally.

Have you considered contacting the upstream author? He's still active in the
chess computation space, it seems.

Best wishes,

Sebastian