Re: Copyright of debian/*

Hi,

David Prévot <taffit@debian.org> writes:

> Le 02/01/2021 à 11:30, Matthew Vernon a écrit :
>
>> I have noticed some packages using the newer machine-readable
>> copyright format, but not specifying any copyright for debian/*
>
> FWIW, I do that in most of the (simple) packages I’m maintaining: I’m
> fine using the same license as upstream, hence the “Files: *” catch
> the correct license also for debian/*.
>
> The debian/ directory in those packages may have very little
> copyrightable content anyway (not sure a trivial override in d/rules
> or data in d/u/metadata would eligible for example). The only
> creativity is often limited to the package description, that is
> directly copied (or adapted) from upstream, or a patch cherry-picked
> (or forwarded) upstream, where I’m not even the copyright owner
> (upstream is, so again, “Files: *” catches the correct information).

Mmm. My presenting case is a system V init script, which isn't entirely
trivial (though it is significantly boiler-plate); it seems a bit
strange to record it as copyright upstream (who clearly didn't write
it)...

Regards,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."