Re: Hosting the original youtube-dl sources on salsa?

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 09:16:21AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> writes:
>
> > Dear people,
> >
> > As many of you may know, the RIAA issued a resquest for GitHub to take down
> > the youtube-dl repository.
>
> IANAL so I may be confused, but AIUI that takedown is based on the
> notion that there is no legitimate use for youtube-dl, which is
> nonsense, as this comment clealy demonstrates:

Actually not, it is based on the DMCA (which requires takedowns upon
being given notice), and on the fact that youtube-dl includes some
crypto bypassing code.

[...]
>   b) if the RIAA feels the need to repeat their claims, that we should
>      then insist that they persuade a judge that their case has some
>      merit before doing anything about it.

If salsa is hosted at a location that is under the jurisdiction of the
DMCA, then we would *have* to do anything about it before going to a
judge. That's how that (crappy) law works.

I'd rather we wait until the youtube-dl developers resolve the
situation, as it seems they are likely to do. The "nice" thing about
youtube in this context is that it treats content differently based on
the licenses that applies to the content; if youtube-dl is only able to
download videos whose licenses explicitly allows downloading (and it is
possible to do this), then youtube-dl can be reinstated with no issues.

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard