Re: Transity: GPL-licensed but Free only for Non-Commercials

* Andrej Shadura:

> On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 at 10:48, Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> But again I say that this program is GPL-licensed, but it can be used
>> freely (of charge) for non commercial purposes only, but proprietary
>> (one must purchase license) for commercial use.
>>
>> So I think this could violate DFSG #6, right?
>
> The GPL doesn’t allow any further restrictions.

The copyright owner can make any declaration they want, including an
inconsistent one.  Often, that makes the software non-redistributable
in Debian's eyes.  In other cases, the declaration that commercial use
requires a support subscription is phrased in such a way that it is
clear that it is a mere marketing claim and not a legal requirement
(MySQL AB's statements before the Sun acquisition probably fall into
this latter cateogry).