Re: Missing source in firefox-esr: EME module

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 9:38 AM Mihai Moldovan wrote:

> I wonder why no one brought it up yet, but here we go: IMHO, downloading pre-defined proprietary software should completely be disabled/removed in Firefox and the proprietary Widevine module be properly packaged as a package in non-free - with at most a Suggests dependency in the firefox(-esr) package. The nag bar might tell people to install this additional package.

The Widevine license does not allow redistribution.

https://sources.debian.org/src/firefox-esr/60.7.2esr-1/toolkit/content/gmp-sources/widevinecdm.json

        "Linux_x86_64-gcc3": {
          "fileUrl":
"https://redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl/widevine-cdm/4.10.1196.0-linux-x64.zip";,

LICENSE.txt from the zip contains this:

"Google Inc. and its affiliates ("Google") own all legal right, title and
interest in and to the content decryption module software ("Software") and
related documentation, including any intellectual property rights in the
Software. You may not use, modify, sell, or otherwise distribute the Software
without a separate license agreement with Google.  The Software is not open
source software.

--
bye,
pabs