Re: Inquiry regarding Artistic License

I chose to ask on debian-legal@lists.debian.org as I thought this involves legal issues.

I had posted Daniel's response in the email. (Sorry, should have added a line saying that "I have posted Daniel's response below")

I'll post the response here once again:

---- On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 04:33:57 -0700 Daniel Hakimi <dan.j.hakimi@gmail.com> wrote ----

You might, in such a case, hire your own lawyer. None of us guarantee much of anything. If you bought your Linux distribution from some commercial source, they might have guaranteed something, but people usually don't make guarantees for free.

Note, however, that we are all trying to communicate clearly and honestly. It seems quite unlikely that you would come across such an issue. But nobody is promising that it's impossible.

Regards,

Daniel J. Hakimi
B.S. Philosophy, RPI 2012
B.S. Computer Science, RPI 2012
J.D. Cardozo Law 2015

---- On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 07:12:45 -0700 Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote ----

* npdflr:

> Thanks Florian and Daniel for your replies.

> I would definitely file a bug. But if the author demands some money or
> something else then would Debian.org take responsibility or I (users
> of debian OS) have to take responsibility or both.

It depends on how the demand for money is phrased. If it is actually
a requirement for running the software, the software would be moved to
the non-free archive or removed from the Debian archive altogether.

> Should I take Daniel's response of hiring my own lawyer as an official
> answer from Debian.org to this subject?

I didn't see Daniel's response. Asking on debian-legal is not a way
to get a formal response from the Debian project, and such formal