Re: Inquiry regarding Artistic License

Thanks Florian and Daniel for your replies.

I would definitely file a bug. But if the author demands some money or something else then would Debian.org take responsibility or I (users of debian OS) have to take responsibility or both.

Should I take Daniel's response of hiring my own lawyer as an official answer from Debian.org to this subject?

Even if this is an unlikely scenario, I am taking precautions for such an issue (I hope this is ok).

---- On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 06:37:25 -0700 Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote ----

* npdflr:

> If I download package(s) from debian main which has artistic license
> and if there is an issue regarding license being non-free (or the
> author not approving the license to be used as per DFSG) then who
> should I contact to solve the issue or in other words who would be
> taking responsibility for this issue?

You could file a bug in the Debian BTS and Cc: this mailing list.

---- On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 04:33:57 -0700 Daniel Hakimi <dan.j.hakimi@gmail.com> wrote ----

You might, in such a case, hire your own lawyer. None of us guarantee much of anything. If you bought your Linux distribution from some commercial source, they might have guaranteed something, but people usually don't make guarantees for free.

Note, however, that we are all trying to communicate clearly and honestly. It seems quite unlikely that you would come across such an issue. But nobody is promising that it's impossible.

Regards,

Daniel J. Hakimi
B.S. Philosophy, RPI 2012
B.S. Computer Science, RPI 2012