Re: Re: FRR package in Debian violates the GPL licence

On Thu, 2019-03-21 at 12:40 +0100, Giacomo Tesio wrote:
> On 21/03/2019, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > I'm not sure why you are supporting Oracle's position, but consider
> > the impact on the computing world of that position, and what
> > trouble
> > it causes if it wins.
>
> I can't answer for Paul, and I really don't care about neither Oracle
> or Google.
>
> But there is a huge difference between reimplementing a standard
> interface like POSIX and depending on a creative work that is
> original. Whenever a standard exists, anything that implement it,
> even partially, is NOT subject to this issue.

As far as I know POSIX isn't a new and original interface that was
designed in a clean room; it (in large parts) documents interfaces that
were available in proprietary operating systems.

So using POSIX interfaces would violate the original copyright on those
APIs (unless there is a license to allow using them).

Lots of free software also is very much inspired by proprietary works,
be they APIs, protocol or entire programs.

Ansgar