Re: FRR package in Debian violates the GPL licence

Paul Jakma <paul@jakma.org> writes:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, Ole Streicher wrote:

>> GPLv2, section 2 explicitly allows aggregation:
>>
>> | In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Progra
>
> How can this apply to a derived work, which is based on the GPL work?

The FRR code is not "derived work". It is not a modified copy of any GPL
code. Instead it aggregates the (changed? unchanged?) GPL code with code
that is written on its own. This code is not a modified copy of any GPL
code, therefore they can give any license to it.

"Modified copy" is the term which is used in GPL, and you should prove
that the code in question is a modified copy.

Again, I can put my mini-2-liner under any license, unaffected by the
GPL. Since it is not a modified copy of anything.

Best

Ole