Re: FRR package in Debian violates the GPL licence

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019, Giacomo wrote:

Hi Paul, a question:

what if Debian added such the missing header to those files that miss it before packaging, so that the source packages comply with the License?

My understanding is the work would still be unlicensed. There is no GPL licence available from anyone for the infringing work.

One would need to obtain a licence from all the copyright holders concerned. According to advice, I am one of those copyright holders. And that includes having a copyright interest in the code in the ldpd/ and babeld/ directories of FRR, being code which depends explicitly and heavily on the GPL code in the other directories and which can not be compiled, comprehended or function without reference to the GPL source code.

I'm open to resolving this, as part of a wider resolution of the issues in this matter. Otherwise, I would be unlikely to.

The likelyhood of someone being able to drive this to resolution... But people are welcome to try.

If the only possible license for that code is GPL (as it depends on GPL code) one might argue that the lack of GPL header is a bug that might fool a user to use that file as permissively licensed, terminating his own license forever!

This isn't a "bug". This is a very deliberate attempt by a set of corporates, led by Cumulus Networks, under a Linux Foundation project aegis, to try erase the copyleft nature of the GPL licence on code, which they havn't the right to do.

They are trying to forge a new reality for GPL code, where other people's GPL code can be treated as if it had a much weaker licence, so it can be appropriated by said corporates and their customers.

In any case if Debian distribute the code as GPL and that code can only EXIST as a GPL derivative (thus GPL itself) they are not violating anything, and they could easily add the missing headers just to protect the user from an accidental but definotive termination.

We're talking about code that can only be distributed under the terms required by the GPL, and where the original distributors of that code have forfeited their right to distribute that code under the GPL through licence infringement - from T=0.

Also, read David's email, where he is speaking for FRR: He is explicit that FRR are _not_ distributing the source code concerned under the GPL (and hence refuse to comply with the GPL notification requirements, even where they have placed prominent notices of other applicable licences which they find favourable). If there is any doubt as to whether FRR are distributing the source code concerned under the GPL, I hope David's email has dispelled it. Take him at his word.

I'd have to take advice to be 100% sure, but I do not believe it is possible to obtain the code concerned with a GPL licence. Also, I do not believe it is possible to take unlicensed code, slap a GPL notice on it, and just unilaterally grant oneself a GPL licence to other people's code.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | paul@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: