Re: Please advise regarding DFSG compliance of WPL-2

On 15317 March 1977, أحمد المحمودي wrote:

Debian contains some packages licensed under Waqf Public License in non-free section. Most of the packages are switching to WPL-2 which I think is DFSG compliant, so I am seeking your advice.

  This is the authoritative Arabic version of the license, followed by the
  informal English translation of the license.

And it has this:

This is the informal English translation of Waqf General Public License.
Anything but the Arabic version of the license has no value except for
convenience of our English speaking users. When we talk about the
License we refer to the Arabic version, which is the only one we
officially offer, we will try our best to make other translation as
accurate as possible but because of the nature of human languages we use
one single reference language.

Independent of whatever actual software is using this, we have a hard
time accepting this license at all for anything better than non-free.
None of the ftpteam, to my knowledge, is able to read and understand the
arabic version, and this english translation is saying its worth
nothing. And I also wonder if a pure translation is enough to "get it",
as the preamble starts with a load of text around what Islam forbids (or
not), how much does islamic rules knowledge come into play later?

--
bye, Joerg