Re: Hacking License

 Il December 1, 2018 3:57:32 AM UTC, Daniel Hakimi <dan.j.hakimi@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>Why?

Ehm... because no existing license is equivalent?

>This license is only more work for the community to understand

Hopefully this will be a worth investment.

> and incompatible with everything else out there.

Did you read it?
Why should it be incomparable with MIT or BSD?

> What's the upside of using your own license over the GPL?

There are several advantages over GPLv2, GPLv3 and AGPLv3.

To be honest, I thought they were be pretty evident from the text, but feel free to ask if you find something unclear.

Some of the evident advantages over the GNU licenses are:

- no need to trust a central authority upgrades to the license
- no need for CLAs, FLAs or abusable copyright assignment.
- possibility of dual licensing but only if the different distributions exactly match
- no SaaSS loopholes thanks to the wrapping conditions that are still compatible with all the FSF OSI approved licenses and with the Debian guidelines
- clear recognition of users' right to understand the software they interact with

Basically it's a stronger copyleft with way less legalese and in a quarter of the AGPL's length.

There would be a lot more to add here, but I've already spent 6 months to write a license and I can't spend 6 more to write a mail :-)

So I'd really appreciate if you could read it before deciding you don't like it.

Giacomo