Re: [Fedora-legal-list] The license of OpenMotif (Open Group Public License)

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 3:36 AM Florian Weimer wrote:

> Is it necessary that an open source license must allow porting to
> proprietary systems?  I don't think so today.  But based on what I
> found out about the OpenMotif license, people actually thought that
> back then.  This surprises me.  Has this changed?

If I am stuck on a proprietary platform because the available libre
platforms do not support my hardware (or for other reasons), I don't
think it is appropriate to disconnect me from the FLOSS world and
force me to only use proprietary software on top of the proprietary
platform. That would only *reduce* the amount of software freedom in
the universe, not increase it. As I understand it, the system library
exception is a way to work around the license incompatibility between
copyleft projects and the proprietary platforms they might be able to
run on, in order to *increase* the places Free Software can be used.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise