Re: [Fedora-legal-list] Re: The license of OpenMotif (Open Group Public License)

On Fri, 2018-10-26 at 21:29 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Is it necessary that an open source license must allow porting to
> proprietary systems?  I don't think so today.  But based on what I
> found out about the OpenMotif license, people actually thought that
> back then.  This surprises me.  Has this changed?

IMO it is a violation of the spirit, if not the letter, of the OSD.
For instance, that license forbade us from even using, much less
distributing, OpenMotif on Cygwin (which, as a *NIX/X11 platform,
wouldn't require much actual porting) -- which, while itself Free
Software, was built on a proprietary kernel (Windows), which this
license explicitly called out as the definition of the OS.  The same
would apply to proprietary *NIXs, leaving the far-from-perfect lesstif
as the only viable option for us and them.  Shouldn't this have been
considered a restriction against persons/groups (users of such systems)
or fields of endeavour (use on such systems)?

--
Yaakov Selkowitz
Senior Software Engineer - Platform Enablement