Re: W3C FSA (Final Specification Agreement)

Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> >Debian doesn't consist of licenses; it consists of software works
> >under specific grants of license.
>
> Last time I looked, there was no difference in practice except
> for the GFDL. So, DWIM ;-)

That's not the case. Without knowing the grant of license, one doesn't
know whether the copyright holder permits, for example, redistribution
under the GPL version 2 only, or version 3 only, or the GPL version 3 or
any later version, or the recipient's choice of GPL version 3 or
CC-By-SA 4.0, etc.

So it's essential to know what is the specific *grant of license* from
the copyright holder to recipients of the work.

> >Are you proposing a Debian package of the MusicXML standard? Or some
> >other work?
>
> I was wondering what to do if there was a piece of software
> containing the MusicXML specification or DTDs as part of itself.

Do you know of such a work, proposed for inclusion in Debian?

If not, I think we shouldn't spend much time on speculation :-)

--
 \     Lucifer: “Just sign the Contract, sir, and the Piano is yours.” |
  `\     Ray: “Sheesh! This is long! Mind if I sign it now and read it |