Re: Do i need to purchase any License

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 1:33 AM, ardavan izadi wrote:

> I’m not sure about Debian licensing and don’t understand very well as it’s
> long and confusing to me.

A fairly good introduction to Free Software licensing is available here:

https://www.debian.org/intro/free

The FAQ Walter Landry sent a link to is good too.

> I would like to use Debian on a single board computer for commercial use.
> We’re going to produce an IoT gadget and eventually sell to the market.

Since you are going to distribute Debian to users, and Debian includes
a lot of copyleft-licensed software, you might be interested in this
guide to GPL license compliance:

http://compliance.guide/

This section offers an example of a product that meets the GPL requirements:

http://compliance.guide/pristine

Some more background on copyleft is available here:

https://copyleft.org/

> Change the log screen during booting and display our logo

This is perfectly acceptable to do.

If you intend to also show the Debian logo, please note our trademark policy:

https://www.debian.org/trademark

> Run our custom software (written in Python & C) instead of OS desktop
> environment

If appropriate, I would encourage you to release this under a Free
Software license and have your developers package it for Debian.

> Do I need to purchase any license for my product from Debian?

The Debian project does not sell any licenses.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise