Re: advice for free software package named almost identically to non-free software

Hi Paul,

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 10:19:16AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 7:42 AM, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
>
> > Do you think it's ok to internally provide backwards compatibility?
> > eg, for a library, newname provides/fulfils oldname, for a long period
> > of time...perhaps a year.  I'm trying to think of all the non-Debian
> > users who would also be affected by this change.
>
> That would be a decision for upstream but I guess it would probably be OK.

I've given the upstream contact your email so he can write to you
directly.  Maybe I'm paranoid and overestimate the motivation and
skills of litigious goons!  Worst-case scenario being a google-tracked
mailing list boosts the page-ranking of the almost-identically-named
software and attracts the attention of those who would cause stress
for others.

Thank you for the advice,
Nicholas