Re: System libraries and the GPLv2

Quoting Francesco Poli (2017-03-30 23:37:32)
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 23:28:46 -0400 Richard Fontana wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 05:08:24AM +0200, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
> >
> > > Do you (or anyone else) _really_ think the copyright holders of
> > > the GPL program in question had any intention ever of not allowing
> > > their program to be used along with OpenSSL, when they where the
> > > ones implementing support for using it on the first place?
> >
> > This, I would say, encapsulates the real Fedora/Red Hat position on
> > this issue to the extent there is one. It assumes that the intent of
> > the copyright holders can be determined from their actions.
>
> What about programs that link both with OpenSSL and with a third party
> purely-GPL-licensed library?

<sarchasm>
Surely we can then asses that the intend of our upstreams in such cases
is schizophrenic: They _both_ want to dillute the copyleft licensing
_and_ uphold it strongly.

Because our job as distributors is not to respect what upstreams
explicitly dictate through licensing, but to second-guess what is
_really_ going on in their minds - and when their mindset and ours do
not align, then surely they cannot be trusted to mean what the say - our
need for simple distribution has higher priority than their right to
grant complex licensing.

Right?
</sarchasm>

 - Jonas