Re: System libraries and the GPLv2

On 29/03/17 22:25, Brian May wrote:
> Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez <clopez@igalia.com> writes:
>
>> But in the worst case, it will be compatible with GPLv2+ and GPLv3.
>
> I am not sure I see this as the worst case situation. Or maybe you meant
> to write "incompatable"?

No.

Apache 2.0 is compatible with GPLv3 [1] (therefore also with GPLv2+).
That is a fact, and its the worst case situation (assuming that the
re-license to Apache 2.0 actually happens)

I know that the FSF holds the view that Apache 2.0 is not compatible
with GPLv2 [1]. But, at the same time I have read that "many prominent
open source lawyers consider the GPLv2 and Apache 2 licenses to be
compatible already" [2].

So, the best case situation (IMHO) would be that a lawyer tell us that
Apache 2.0 is also compatible with GPLv2-only, and that we stop playing
the game of being amateur lawyers instead of software developers.

Regards.
--------

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#apache2