Re: System libraries and the GPLv2

On 30/03/17 14:31, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez writes ("Re: System libraries and the GPLv2"):
>> However, I still don't understand why we don't just declare OpenSSL a
>> system library; or at least define a clear policy for when a package is
>> considered part of the base system (so the GPL system exception applies
>> to it).
>
> I think the GPL system library exception does not apply for the
> benefit of anything on a DVD image.  Since we want downstreams to be
> able to make arbitrary DVD( image)s containing whatever bits (of main)
> that they like, and distribute them, we cannot rely on the system
> library exception for anything in Debian.
>
> Ian.

Let me you remember DFSG number 9 [1]:

* License Must Not Contaminate _Other_ Software

    The license must not place restrictions on other software that is
    distributed along with the licensed software. For example, the
    license must not insist that all other programs distributed on the
    same medium must be free software.

And also point you to my previous answer to Dmitry:

 https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2017/03/msg00042.html

Shipping a collection of software on a DVD doesn't make any of this
pieces of software a derivative works one of the other.

[1] https://www.debian.org/social_contract