Re: declaring a license

Herbert Fortes <terberh@gmail.com> writes:

> I am doing a QA for python-irc[0] and the tarball does not have a
> COPYING/License file. The statement is done in setpu.py file and
> PyPi[1] only.

You have already done the action I'd recommend: convince upstream to put
an explicit grant of license prominently in the code base. Thank you.

> Now I have an email that explicit declares one License to all project
> I can put the file in debian/. In the tarball you only see that in
> setup.py file.
>
> Is that enough ?

To resolve the issue not just Debian recipients but for every recipient,
upstream needs to put that license grant text in a prominent place (e.g.
a top-level ‘COPYING’ file) in the released code base. Have they
indicated they will do that?

Until that happens, yes it's traditionally accepted for Debian packages
to contain the grant of license text in the ‘debian/copytright’ file.

My recommendation is to put that text in the non-standard
“License-Grant” field of the appropriate “Files” stanza.

--
 \         “Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they |
  `\                                         believe me?” —Jack Handey |