Re: png files

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 6:09 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Herbert Fortes (hpfn) writes:
>
>> But some .png files are like a chess board with a grey color. There is
>> nothing in it.
>>
>> Since a file to be free must have source that can be editable, is that
>> a problem ?
>
> A consensus definition of “source” in Debian is “the preferred form of
> the work for making modifications to it”.

... but there is no consensus within Debian that all files in the
archive must come with "source". Some folks (including me) do think
that all files (including images) should have source and others think
that only programs need source.

> Yes, this requires human judgement, and yes it can be abused. With that
> said, I think that PNG files containing simple geometric shapes would
> pretty clearly be their own source form.

Looking at the files in question I see what might be pre-rendered
multi-layered and vector based images. For such images usually there
is a more expressive form like SVG or XCF or similar that the images
were prepared from. If I look at the metadata in the images (see
below), it is clear that they were created using proprietary Adobe
products. Both of the products mentioned in the metadata allow
multi-layer or vector forms in images. So there may be a more
expressive form available, or the author may have just exported to PNG
and discarded the more expressive form. If we look at the upstream
git/svn repositories, there are no more expressive files available.
The only way to find out if there are more expressive forms still
existing somewhere would be to contact upstream and or the folks who
added the files to the upstream VCS repository.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Fireworks

BTW: the Debian package definitely does not have the source for the
CSS files, if you look at the upstream repo you will see they use
*.scss files as the source and then generate CSS from them using sass
and minify them using gulp. bower is also involved somehow. See the
end of README.txt information about that and bower.json .bowerrc
gulpfile.js package.json for the build system for this stuff. Note
that gulp and bower are not yet packaged for Debian so smoviecat won't
be build-able from source in Debian, which is against ftp-master
policy.

http://thesassway.com/editorial/sass-vs-scss-which-syntax-is-better

$ dget -qx https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/smoviecat/smoviecat_2.5.0+dfsg-1.dsc
$ cd smoviecat*/lib
$ sng *.png
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
$ for f in *.sng ; do egrep -H '(name|text):' $f || echo $f no match ; done
base-shadow.sng:    name: "Photoshop ICC profile"
content-bg.sng:    text: "17/4/11";
content-bg.sng:    text: "Adobe Fireworks CS5";
noposter.sng:    text: "07/13/10";
noposter.sng:    text: "Adobe Fireworks CS4";
posterbg.sng:    name: "Photoshop ICC profile"
posters.sng no match

--
bye,
pabs