Re: png files

Herbert Fortes (hpfn) <hpfn@ig.com.br> writes:

> But some .png files are like a chess board with a grey color. There is
> nothing in it.
>
> Since a file to be free must have source that can be editable, is that
> a problem ?

A consensus definition of “source” in Debian is “the preferred form of
the work for making modifications to it”.

Is that file in that form? If a recipient wants to make modifications to
the work (the image in the file), is that form suitable for making the
modifications?

If so, that form of the work is a source form of the work.

Yes, this requires human judgement, and yes it can be abused. With that
said, I think that PNG files containing simple geometric shapes would
pretty clearly be their own source form.

--
 \     “Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end.” —Igor |
  `\                                                       Stravinskey |