Re: Status of US Government Works in foreign countries

Dear debian-legal,

I'd like to follow up concering this previous thread. As advised by Paul,
I contacted a month ago developers of X13. They seem to be very nice
people and they forwarded my request to the legal department.

Apparently, lawyers of the US Commerce Department didn't want to give up
property rights but they modified the license to say the following [1].

---
This Software was created by U.S. Government employees and therefore is not subject to copyright in the United States (17 U.S.C. §105). The United States/U.S. Department of Commerce (“Commerce”) reserve all rights to seek and obtain copyright protection in countries other than the United States. The United States/Commerce hereby grant to User a royalty-free, nonexclusive license to use, copy, and create derivative works of the Software outside of the United States.
---

Last sentence seems to be a dense endorsement of FOSS principles and, while probably not the cleanest way to state it, appears at first sight to comply with free software licenses.

Anyone have a take on this?

Rytis

[1] https://www.census.gov/srd/www/disclaimer.html