Re: Debian chroot (main apt source list) inside a GPL v3 Android app

Hi,

Here is the work we are trying to legalize under the GPL v3 licence:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsopensource.R
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsopensource.Rpremium

For distributing source code, we have created a support website which points to all the git source repositories we are using:
https://code.google.com/p/rconsoleapp/

Best regards.

Apps Embedded team.

Apps Embedded <apps.embedded@gmail.com> writes:

> We have developped an open-source Android app based on a Debian wheezy
> chroot.

Thank you for making software that respects the freedom of its recipients.

> Because licence compatibility could be a nightmare, we would like to
> verify that debootstrap a minimum install of Debian wheezy and using
> it as binaries in our open-source app is really GPL v3 compatible.

The term “using” does not describe anything helpful for answering that
question. Copyright is not invoked by “using” in general, but only by
specific actions that are normally reserved to the copyright holder.
Which specific actions are you planning to do with these works?

To satisfy most copyleft licenses (including the GPL, any version) you
will need to make full corresponding source, of any work that you
redistribute under that license, available to any recipient who asks for
it. What specific measures do you have in place for that?

There are many other issues involved when redistributing combined works
whose components are under different licenses. This forum isn't capable
of granting permission, nor of providing specific legal advice.

Hopefully that can help clarify the discussion of this matter. I wish
you good hunting in finding legal counsel that can help you find a way
to distribute your software respecting user freedom.

--
 \     “I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I |
  `\         am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I |