Re: The future of copyleft

Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, 2015-11-04 at 10:09 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > The ‘debian-legal’ forum isn't really good for discussing this; it's
> > certainly not special to Debian, it is a matter to be discussed in
> > the wider software community.
>
> I don't know of the other lists, but if you feel, we can extend it to
> other lists.

I meant not that this specific thread should move to some other list.

I meant, rather, that this discussion is not special to Debian, and that
it is *more* important to have the discussion *outside* the Debian
project.

People working within the Debian project are already interested in
software freedom as a priority. Advocating the pros and cons of copyleft
in a forum dedicated only to this project is not, IMO, a good use of our
time.

It is the wider software community that needs convincing of the benefits
of copyleft. So that's where to spend the energy, IMO.

So, instead of yet another in-house discussion of copyleft, let's
convince those who are not yet convinced.

--
 \     “As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of |
  `\                                       the demand.” —Josh Billings |