Re: [PHP-QA] Debian and the PHP license

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 05:20:21PM +0200, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
>    "If you feel to dispute this please take your *well-formed* and
>    *well-thought* arguments to debian-legal."

... to discuss it. d-legal is a proper venue for *discussing* it, but
it's not the right one to discuss the actual critera for archive
fitness.

Which is likely why you didn't get a reply.

nobody participated in the discussion from your side.

>    So I was under the impression that debian-legal is the correct list to
>    contact.

debian-legal has no delegated authority to make such decisions for the
archive.

I didn't said anything about debian-legal having the authority to do any decision.
Ondrej claimed that the decision was made on legal concerns, and that any further discussion should happen on debian-legal, which kind-of made sense.
From your reply I'm not sure what are you arguing about. That this isn't a legal problem, so no reason to discuss it on debian-legal, or you think that there isn't much to discuss there, because you have no power over the decision?
I've find it a bit disturbing, that ftpmasters can make a decision on legal grounds(which is the probably the highest priority for debian as far as I'm concerned), without any backing from debian-legal(the original thread one debian-legal got a single reply which doesn't supported the reject. https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/08/msg00130.html), years later ftpmasters can decide to drop a bunch of packages based on the legal problem and point to debian-legal@ for further discussion where first nobody replies, then we are told that it isn't the proper place to write and that we should write to the same people who made the decision. o.O

>    From the mails from Ondřej it seems that the reject decision was made by
>    the ftpmaster team, but as the argument for the decision was a legal one,
>    so I think that debian-legal is appropriate.

... to discuss it. Not decide on critera.

sigh.
you are trying a nice job making any kind of discussion as talking to a brick wall.
where did I said anything about you making any decision?
I was talking about why did it seemed reasonable to follow Ondrej's advice and write to debian-legal@ to discuss a decision made on legal grounds to discuss the decision and find a solution satisfying all parties.

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu