Re: Standardization documents in xsd and wsdl format

Mattias Ellert writes ("Standardization documents in xsd and wsdl format"):
> Various standardization bodies like e.g. W3C and OASIS that publish data
> communication standards, provide xsd and/or wsdl files describing these
> standards. These files, though machine readable and parsable by various
> interpreters, are often published with a documentation license rather
> than a software license since they are considered part of the
> standardization document rather than software that helps users implement
> the standard. Standardization bodies tend to want to not have random
> people making random changes to their standardization documents that
> would create incompatible versions of the standards. The documentation
> licenses used by these organization therefore usually do not allow
> modification.

That would make these files non-free.

> Are such xsd and wsdl files allowed in Debian source packages, or do
> they have to be deleted from the source tarball? Are they allowed to be
> installed by Debian binary packages? (I guess the answer to both
> questions would be the same.)

Current Debian practice is that all non-files, including these, must
be removed.  You must repack the source tarball.  There are a variety
of tools to help make this less tiresome.

(I think this is pointless make-work but it appears that the project
consensus, and the ftpmaster policy, is against me.)

Ian.