A clarification with dual licensing

Hi,

I was advised to contact debian legal on this matter.
A libstrophe software [1] claims to have dual license, as read from LICENSE.txt [2]:
---
libstrophe XMPP client library
Copyright (C) 2005-2009 Collecta, Inc.

This program is dual licensed under the MIT and GPLv3 licenses.
Please the files MIT-LICENSE.txt and GPL-LICENSE.txt for details.
---

The package also links to openssl, so from obvious reasons MIT would
be better for us.

The question is, in this case, can I "choose" a license to be MIT or
the "and" word glues these two licenses together ?

[1] https://github.com/strophe/libstrophe
[2] https://github.com/strophe/libstrophe/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

PS: Please CC me in your responses, I am not a subscriber of debian-legal
list.

--
Dariusz Dwornikowski,
  Institute of Computing Science, Poznań University of Technology