Re: Sources licensed under PHP License and not being PHP are not distributable

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 01:54:37PM +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Hello Ondřej, hi -legal,

> > One more note: PHP is *not* compatible with GPL[1]. If you have
> > sources that combine PHP-licensed source with GPL-licenced
> > source the result is not distributable. That includes linking GPL
> > library to PHP licenced source (e.g. libreadline as most notable
> > example of GPL library).

> Do I read this correctly as there is a problem with any PHP binding to
> a GPL library?

> If there's a problem, would it be enough to add an exception to the
> library, just like it happens with OpenSSL?

If you are the copyright holder of the GPL library, you can add an exception
permitting the library to be linked into a plugin for PHP.  However, unlike
the OpenSSL exception, which is an exception about allowing GPL apps to be
distributed together with libraries they've been written to use, the
exception you describe gives people permission to use the GPL software from
GPL-incompatible language runtimes.  I don't think anyone who licensed a
library under the GPL (mainly the FSF) would have any reason to grant such
an exception.