Re: Request for comment on license file

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:24:00 +0100 Simon Kainz wrote:

[...]
> Hello!

Hi!

> Sorry for the delay

No problem.

> and thank you very much for your efforts.

You're welcome...  :-)

> Am 2014-02-15 00:03, schrieb Francesco Poli:
[...]
> > I don't know whether this clause can be really called an attempt
> > to implement a copyleft. It seems to impose that all modifications
> > and additions be licensed under all-permissive terms. In other
> > words, it seems to force modifiers to grant far more permissions
> > over their modifications than what is granted by the original
> > authors over the original work.
> >
> > I think this fails to meet (the second part of) DFSG#3.
> >
> Just to understand this right:
>
> "... and all modifications and
>     additions to the Software must be freely redistributable by any
> party (including  Licensor) without restriction. "
>
> Do you think it violates DFSG#3 because it "overrides" the "... under
> the same terms as the license of the original software."(DFSG)  by
> requiring "redistributability without restriction"?

Yes, basically.

Trying to be clearer: this clause seems to impose that any
modification/addition be redistributable under a restriction-less
license. If this is the case, then my own personal opinion is that it
violates the second part of DFSG#3, since it makes it impossible to
distribute modifications or derived works "under the same terms as the
license of the original software" (which indeed has restrictions!).

[...]
> > I agree with your recommendation: the GNU GPL is a far better
> > choice, whenever a copyleft license is desired. My personal
> > preference goes to the GNU GPL v2:
> > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.txt
> >
> > I hope this helps to solve this licensing mess once and for all.
> >

> Well, actually not, because now i still don't know if it is OK to
> package Torque 4.2.6.1 for Debian.

As I said, my own personal opinion is that the license seems to fail
DFSG#3.
Moreover, this license seems to be basically equivalent to the one of
the Torque versions currently packaged for Debian.
I am finally also under the impression that distributing Torque
violates the license of OpenPBS v2.3, as I previously explained.

Hence, I cannot understand how Torque managed to be accepted in Debian
main.

Just to be crystal clear: this represents my own personal opinion.
I am not a member of the Debian Project, I'm just an external
contributor.

> I agree, that if Torque would be
> under GPL, it would be much easier to package it for Debian(and we
> won't have this thread) But there are several different license models
> used for software already packaged , so it's more the question of
> finding the border between "non GPL but DFSG compliant" and "not DFSG
> compliant at all".  So maybe someone could give me some tips how to
> continue to work on this issue?

The suggestion (at least on my side, but I think on Ben Finney's side
as well) is to get in touch with the copyright holders of Torque and
try to persuade them to re-license it under an uncontroversially
DFSG-free license, such as the GNU GPL.
I don't know whether this is feasible, but I hope it is.

Bye.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!