Re: Copyright/Credits/Author

Franck Joncourt <franck@debian.org> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> It is sometimes easy to forget to add copyright year for someone who
> provided a significant patch, thus I am looking for a way to avoid
> forgetting such information.

Okay. Since “the file has no copyright” means something very different
from that, I asked for clarification. Instead, you mean “the file lacks
some information about its copyright”, which is indeed quite common.

> One last point. Is is mandatory the CREDIT file provides email
> addresses for contributors (if they have one, or at least if they want
> to share it)?

Mandated by whom? I don't know whether copyright law madates that.

Omitting the contact information for a copyright holder is (needlessly?)
making it much more difficult to contact that party during the long term
of the work's copyright.

It is IMO normal to include contact information for copyright holders.
This is courteous to recipients who are subject to restrictions under
copyright law and may need to contact the copyright holders for various
reasons.

> > This is a common (and, IMO, usually satisfactory) solution to the
> > problem of attribution for a work with many copyright holders: Avoid
> > references to URLs for information that needs to persist over time,
> > put all the information centrally in the source tarball, with a
> > clear referenced from each file in that tarball.
>
> Ok. I am going to propose that to upstream. It looks fine to me an
> easy to maintain.

Thank you for taking the matter seriously and looking for manageable
solutions.

--
 \          “And if I laugh at any mortal thing, / 'Tis that I may not |
  `\               weep.” —“Lord” George Gordon Noel Byron, _Don Juan_ |