Re: Re: About the licensing of URW Garamond No. 8

Hi, Fabian and others.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Fabian Greffrath <fabian@greffrath.com> wrote:
> Dear Rogerio et al.,
>
>> Thank you very much for your review. I just sent a letter to the GUST to
>> see how they approached URW to change the license of the Base 35 fonts.
>> Let's hope that they answer soon.
>
> this was Tue, 20 Apr 2010. Did you ever get a response to your letter to
> GUST and has your letter ever been forwarded to URW?

I did get in contact with Jerzy (CC'ed) and he helpfully told me that,
IIRC, one of the key steps in getting the fonts to be released under a
Free License was to talk with Dr. Peter Rosenfeld to also release the
Base 35 fonts under the LPPL.

I also remember that I had a correspondence with a person that saw my
modifications to the font and whose university was contemplating
purchasing a license of the fonts from URW and, IIRC, they entered
into some talk with URW, but URW wanted something on the order of 7500
euros (I don't remember if this is the precise number) to donate the
font under a Free License.

Apparently, said university did get a copy for themselves, but they
didn't have all the money for liberating the fonts.

Unfortunately, I didn't forward the letter to URW, in face of the
above. Given that Linux Libertine has been making some huge progress
(with respect to LaTeX) and it is a delicate design similar to Adobe's
Minion Pro, I was satisfied with that.

Anyway, back to URW Garamond No. 8, I guess that the letter that I
wrote may still be relevant. Should I try sending it?

Any opinions? Please, keep me CC'ed, as I have reduced my mailing list
subscriptions to almost zero (I was drowning under emails and not
getting the job done).

Regards,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA