Re: Font license and inclusion in debian (RTP 719605)

Vincent Lhote <debian@vincent.lhote.name> writes:

> I was pointed to a font and thought it would be a fine addition to
> Debian. But the text of its license makes me wonder if it can be
> included.

Thank you for taking software freedom seriously!

Debian is an entirely free-software operating system, so for the font to
be in Debian will require that its license not restrict freedoms
described in the Debian Free Software Guidelines, part of the project's
Social Contract <URL:http://www.debian.org/social_contract>.

> I did some search, and I think it can be included, at least in
> non-free.

The ‘non-free’ and ‘contrib’ sections are not part of Debian, though the
packages contained there can be installed by a Debian user.

> I was wondering if the no derivative clause would prevent it from
> being included in the main archive.

Yes, this fails DFSG #3, so the work cannot be in Debian.

> Reading it again, I see there is also a no commercial use of the font,
> I’m getting sure it can not be in main.

Yes, this fails DFSG #6, so the work cannot be in Debian.

> Can it be in non-free then?

Possibly. I'll leave that for others to answer.

--
 \       “My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves |
  `\              to fact, not to try and make facts harmonise with my |