Re: about CC licenses

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:13:16 +0200 Erik Josefsson wrote:

> > Ouch!   :-(
> >

> Estonia has been using e-elections software since 2005 and now it's
> finally verifiable:
>
>     https://github.com/vvk-ehk/evalimine
>
> But the licence is cc-by-nc-nd.

There are a number of things that strike me as awkward in this piece of
news.

First of all, we are talking about a program here, aren't we?
CC licenses are recommended *against* for programs, even by the Creative
Commons Project itself [1]

[1] http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Can_I_apply_a_Creative_Commons_license_to_software.3F
(please note that they use the term "software" in its strictest meaning
of "computer programs", not in the broadest meaning that I prefer:
http://www.inventati.org/frx/essays/softfrdm/whatissoftware.html )

Secondly, the choice of a blatantly non-free CC-by-nc-nd license makes
me suspect that the intent is to obtain a (misunderstood) anti-tampering
security by forbidding any modification whatsoever (nd =
no-derivative): if this is the case, I think that the result is very
different from the intended one; the program is clearly non-free, but no
security is obtained, since what matters is (technically) guaranteeing
that the publicly visible source really corresponds to what is being
executed on the voting system, not that nobody is legally able to
create modified versions of the program.

I am Cc:ing Gunnar Wolf on this point, since he has written a lot of
articles on e-voting in his blog, and he may have something more
specific to say about this aspect.

> How can I convince the Eesti Vabariigi Valimiskomisjon (Estonian
> National Electoral Committee) to re-licence/dual-license it so it
> complies with the DFSG?

This is tricky: persuading people is a difficult art, and I am no
expert.
I would recommend you to persuade them to re-license in a sane and
DFSG-free manner, for instance under the terms of the Expat (a.k.a.
MIT) license [2].

[2] www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt

But how you could persuade them is not obvious: persuasion techniques
have to be adapted to the target...

I hope this helps, at least a little.
Bye.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!