Re: Advice regarding deleted images on Commons (tarot deck)

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Goffi <goffi@goffi.org> wrote:
> Le 06/04/2013 23:45, John Vandenberg a écrit :
>>
>> [SNIP]
>>

>> Do the copyright check yourself.  Do you know of an online resource that
>> shows a Piatnik deck with a rough publishing date, so they can be used for
>> comparison?
>>
>> You might find a close substitute desks in the following collection.
>> CC:ing pysolffc project maintainer and contributor as xe may know the
>> copyright status of the desk you are interested in.
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/pysolfc-cardsets/+copyright
>

> Hi John,
>
> I'm Jérôme Poisson, the author of the "Salut à Toi" project.
>
> We have spent a couple of hours looking for alternative decks (either the
> resolution is too low - that's the case for pysolffc -, either the deck is
> too ugly or we are not sure about the copyright), and for proof that the
> Piatnik deck is in public domain. We are sure it's a Piatnik deck (we can
> compare the 10 and the 20 of trumpt on this page:
> https://sites.google.com/site/tacticclub/Home/introduction/l-histoire-du-tarot
> or we can see several copies of randoms cards on the web), but we haven't
> found any creation date of the deck, so we are not 100 % sure and can't
> proof that the deck was indeed made by Ferdinand Piatnik (which died in
> 1885), even if there is a high probability that this is the case. That's
> pity, this deck is beautiful and the resolution is quite high.

Ask to the BNF an acess right to their own tarot desk and do ca comparaison.
Thomas if you are still under the public french system of research you
could do easilly. Pay the fee to the BNF (asking to your thesis
advisor the letter), and ask for seeing the document.

I have see this game at a temporary exposition long time ago at the
BNF, and by memory it is in their collection.

I do not know if gallica allow to search under the estampe. You should
ask to the desk.

Bastien