Re: Artwork License for package in main

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 10:17:29PM +0100, Felix Natter wrote:
> As it is, this "license agreement" is probably not suitable for packages
> in main [1].

s/probably/definitely/g

The DFSG - http://www.debian.org/social_contract

> --> Which licenses can you recommend? Can we simply modify the existing
> agreement in order to transfer more rights from the copyright holder
> (artist)?

CC* 3.0+ is great for creative works. The GPL also works, to some degree,
as does permissive licenses like MIT/Expat. I'd prefer CC0 myself.

Also keep in mind licensing != trademark usage. For instance, Debian has
trademark usage, but it's logo is DFSG free, license-wise.

> --> How about compatibility with Freeplane's (source code-)license
> (GPL-2+)?

Irrelevant. It's loaded at runtime, just as the GIMP would load a
non-free image. Totally fine. Those images just can't be in main.

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2013/12/msg00236.html
>
> Thank you very much and Best Regards,
> --
> Felix Natter

Cheers,
 Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87