Re: Chromium and Google API keys

Joe Healy <joehealy@gmail.com> writes:

> Wouldn't they only be able to enforce the terms of the licence against
> the person that agreed to the terms of that licence?

The question I'm raising is whether copyright reserves the actions
Google asserts; or, more precisely, whether Google could effectively
limit a Debian recipient's DFSG freedoms by asserting putative copyright
in these works.

They could attempt to enforce copyright against any party redistributing
the work, claiming that party has no license to redistribute if they
didn't comply with the terms of the license.

While I hope Paul is correct in saying these works are not subject to
copyright restriction, I suspect there may be a significant set of
jurisdictions where copyright does restrict these works. Google could
make these works effectively non-free by attempting to enforce copyright
restrictions.

--
 \      “[Entrenched media corporations will] maintain the status quo, |
  `\       or die trying. Either is better than actually WORKING for a |