Re: Chromium and Google API keys

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 01:32:25PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Ignacio Areta wrote:
> >
> > > So, my question is: is the API keys terms of service compatible with
> > > DFSG? Two parts of these terms doesn't appears FOSS-friendly for me.
> >
> > I doubt these strings are copyrightable and so their license is
> > probably irrelevant.
>
> I hope that's true. My suspicion, though, is that even if these works
> are not subject to copyright restrictions, the license is still relevant
> to the extent that Google feels entitled to enforce it against Debian
> recipients.

Practically speaking, they could not permit access to their services
when that API key was presented.

Wouldn't they only be able to enforce the terms of the licence against
the person that agreed to the terms of that licence?

This still is unlikely to be good, but my understanding is the worst
the recipients would suffer is a blocked key. Is that how the list
understands it?

I'm not sure where that ends up in terms of being DFSG compliant. My
take is it would probably still fall foul of number 8. Where do these
practical, non-licence restrictions fit in terms of the DFSG?

Cheers,

Joe