Re: Oracle Java

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Andrew Shadura wrote:

> As far as I remember, a license change for the non-free Oracle Java
> some time ago made in non-redistributable by Linux distributions.

Indeed.

> However, news say Raspbian now includes Oracle Java [1]. I wonder: has
> anything changed in Oracle Java licensing, or is it just an exception
> Oracle made for Raspbian and its users? Or is Raspbian actually
> violating the license?
>
> [1] http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4920

I cannot find oracle-java7-jdk in the Raspbian archive:

https://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/

I downloaded the Rasbian image from the RasberryPi folks (they are
separate to Rasbian). Apart from the Rasbian repository it also
references these two archives:

http://raspberrypi.collabora.com
http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/

The Oracle JDK package comes from here:

http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/o/oracle-java7-jdk/

My guess is that the RaspberryPi folks negotiated a different license
with Oracle to be able to distribute it. I suggest you contact them to
find out.

--
bye,
pabs