Re: Berkeley DB 6.0 license change to AGPLv3

Florian Weimer has correctly pointed out that Oracle has decided to change the BDB 6.0 license to AGPLv3 (https://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/bdb/2013-June/000056.html). This hasn't been reflected in release tarball (probably by mistake), but since the AGPLv3 is not very friendly to downstream projects, we (as the Debian project) need to take a decision.

My opinion is that this Oracle move just sent the Berkeley DB to oblivion, and Berkeley DB will be less and less used (or replaced by something else).

Hi there,

I haven't found any topic about this change on Oracle's Berkeley DB discussion platform, so I created one and it surprisingly isn't without reply as I wrongly supposed:
https://forums.oracle.com/message/11186666

"We are in the process of evaluating the licensing incompatibilities introduced by the re-licensing to AGPLv3 and looking at the different alternatives. It would be very useful to have a better understanding of the different projects that use BDB and what 'flavor' of BDB they use. BDB is available as Data Store (DS), Concurrent Data Store (CDS), Transactional Data Store (TDS), and High Availability (HA). Maybe we can use this thread to start to collect such information."

I don't give myself much hope, but why not try it and not giving them the feedback (and of course a try to push them to change things back).

So I'd like to encourage as many people as possible to provide their view on the change in that discussion.

Regards,
Honza