Re: Berkeley DB 6.0 license change to AGPLv3

* Paul Tagliamonte:

> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 09:44:10AM +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>> Florian Weimer has correctly pointed out that Oracle has decided to change the
>> BDB 6.0 license to AGPLv3 (https://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/bdb/2013-June/
>> 000056.html). This hasn't been reflected in release tarball (probably by
>> mistake), but since the AGPLv3 is not very friendly to downstream projects, we
>> (as the Debian project) need to take a decision.
>
> What? Wait, What? What?[1]
>
> The AGPL is a DFSG free FSF approved and OSI approved free software
> license? We made a decision, it's *free software* and fit for main.

The problems start when random, network-enabled, but non-web stuff
switches over to the AGPL *without* implementing the Quine required by
the license (which is somewhat difficult to do for a library, but at
least there could be a "give me a tarball" interface).  That makes it
difficult to perform local changes and stay in compliance with the
license because you have to build the source code distribution
mechanism from scratch and design a process that ensures the sources
and running binaries match at all times.